Friday 23 November 2012

Frugalness and other stuff....

Being an indie musician... I don't have corporate dollars backing what I do... so being frugal has become a necessity, to enable me to pursue doing what I love most! Thus, I have become a bargain hunter! In all reality, I really don't like shopping very much... but when I do, I love checking out the op-shops, garage sales and markets or savvy boutiques that sell that "something different"... I love things that have a story behind it, maybe even a bit quirky, antique or even just uniquely creative...

Here's a groovy little cupboard I picked up recently, something small to make my very bland hall look a little more interesting....



I can appreciate the creativity in others, and admire their handiwork, craftsmanship, planning, creative genius or maybe even the ruggedness of shear improvisation when materials have been in short supply...the simpleness of "necessity is the mother of invention!"

The next challenge is making it work practically with where I have intended for it to go (having already mulled this over before I purchase it... but not always :)!)... Not only do I like being creative... I also like being practical! (Which is probably a rare trait in creative people! Haha...) I like to blend that "unique find" with something modern... hopefully creating a harmonious mix of that reminiscent of a bygone day with a more contemporary setting...


Having just moved recently, it was time to downsize and re-organize! But also an opportunity to find something "new" that would be more space efficient... since cupboard space is sadly lacking in my town house... I've come up with some cool retro ideas for storage...

This pic displays lots of my interesting finds... an old sea chest... now filled with memorabilia and stored in  my retro cane bookshelves, with photo albums and vintage leather suitcases... all these items (except the photo albums) came from scouting around recycle shops etc... (as opposed to boring plastic tubs etc.)... and it didn't cost me anymore than what plastic storage tubs or a cupboard would have!! Bonus!!



The previous owner tells me that the metal trunk came on journey with his grandmother from Tunisia... and had been tucked away ever since in a lovely old home in the outer suburbs of Sydney... but now, was sadly being parted with as the "Victorian" era home was being made ready for new tenants, and all its former goods and chattels were being sold off...

The old suitcases each have their own story... the top one was given to me by a friend for baby sitting her doggies... it had belonged to her father who was a missionary... the other two leather suitcases came from a Op-Shop in a small country town, and the little blue case came from a garage sale and was once a school bag...


The last "find" I would like to show you today...is this charming old clock. It came from an Op-Shop also...
Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore and I did consider taking it to a clock doc to get fixed... but then the reality is that it would cost me a small fortune to have it restored... so I decided to appreciate its aesthetic beauty... with the clock having its hands poised - capturing a moment in time that could have long been forgotten... save for the relic of its stalwart build that has enabled it to stand. It was made by Gilbert Clock Makers in the USA, in 1911.

No comments:

Post a Comment