Monday 17 December 2012

Ginger-shortbread...

Well, at previous Christmas times... I've tried making a decorated fruit cake or a gingerbread house..
but this year I've decided to make some ginger- shortbread!

So, I've come up with this recipe:

250 grams butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar (was going to try all honey, but had some brown sugar to use up... I think golden syrup or treacle would be nice as an alternative also...)
1 tablespoon ginger powder
1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger pieces
2 cups self raising gluten free flour
1 cup plain organic wholemeal spelt flour

1) Melt butter, honey, sugar and add ginger in a saucepan over low heat
2) Remove from heat and place to the side
3) place wholemeal and gluten free flours into a bowl and mix dry ingredients together until blended.
4) Pour over the butter mixture and mix together with a wooden spoon.
5) Roll small balls of mixture (gently) and place onto baking trays - spacing a little apart, and flatten gently with a fork to create a pattern on top. Cook in 170 degrees Celsius oven for about 12 minutes.
6) Drizzle with white chocolate if you wish... my food critique who tasted the shortbread ate my white chocolate before it got to the biscuits unfortunately! Hmm... another thing to remember when I go shopping later! LOL

here's the finished product of my ginger-shortbread biscuits... (minus the chocolate...) The biscuits are very "short" and the ginger pieces add a nice bit of extra "kick" to them!


I purchased this cute little ceramic gingerbread house (filled with gingerbread stars) a few days ago, for just $10 and the Christmas card in this picture is one that I made myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment