Monday 17 December 2012

Getting into Gear!

So, it's time to get into gear for Christmas... with family on their way tomorrow!!

I have already had the tree up for a couple of weeks, and a nativity set... just haven't been too motivated beyond that yet!

Now, we' won't get to be together for Christmas, but we will have some time before and after... which I'm looking forward to :)

It's also my mum's birthday on Christmas day!! So, I try to make the day extra special for her... since she's often had others forget about her on her special day :(

Anyhow, I've been back in the kitchen and made some caramel fudge...






I've put it in this cute little Christmas tree container, that I picked up from an op-shop for less than $1!!

The fudge was a bit of an experiment... as I'm trying to cut out refined sugar and replace with honey...

This recipe - I think I'll try tweaking it a little on my next try... but it's still quite yummy!

1) I used about 200 grams each of honey and butter, and placed them in a saucepan over low heat.
2) Let the honey and butter simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat... you will need to watch it doesn't boil over, I stirred it occasionally.
3) After the mixture has been boiling for about 5 minutes, I gradually stirred in about 4 tablespoons of gluten free flour and mixed well after each addition (tapping it through a small sieve on the side of the pot, as I mixed with the other hand... now there's probably a better way of doing this.... but this is how I made this lot!)
4) Mix in a teaspoon of organic vanilla extract
5) When the mixture started to become like a thick sauce and leave sides of pan, I poured it into a non stick loaf pan... (line with tin foil first will help you get it out later)

6) Sprinkle with cashews or nuts of your choice or not...!
7) Refrigerate and allow to cool... about an hour or two.
8) Remove from tin and slice up!

It actually made about twice as much as what you see in this pic... I had a willing accomplice in sampling for quality control :)

The little decoration is made from seed pods and flowers that have fallen from a tree in a park across the road... and tied with silver gift ribbon... I made one of these for each place setting on the table.





No comments:

Post a Comment